fxKnight
Thursday, October 30, 2014 - 13:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: We added the tapatalk plugin to provide super fast on-the-go forum access from your iphone, ipad, BlackBerry or Android device! Introducing the mobile app for our forum!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Sponsored Links

The views and opinions expressed in the website links above or resources below are not controlled by the Referring Broker,
fx Knight.com or the FCM, nor are they responsible for the availability, content, or delivery of said services.

Trading in the global financial markets involves a high level of risk - please review our Risk Warning and Terms of Use.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Multi TimeFrame Moving Average  (Read 21946 times)

Click to save 10% off our award-winning Pro Training program!
YR
Instructor
Silver Contributor

Go Deep!

« on: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:45 »

Hi, attached is a Multi-Timeframe (MTF) Moving Average that I've developed.  It is meant to show you the moving average on a higher timeframe without having to open up a chart of that higher timeframe (such as plotting an hourly EMA on a 5 min chart).  In the properties sheet you select the timeframe and it must be one of the MT4 built-in ones and expressed in minutes.  For daily use 1440, weekly use 10080 and for monthly use 43200.  Otherwise you can use any of 1, 5, 15, 30, 60 and 240. 

While I intended it to be used to display the MA of a higher timeframe, it also appears to correctly plot moving averages of smaller timeframes (for example a 5 min EMA on a 15 minute chart) by eliminating enough required bars to keep up with the higher timeframe but still displaying the correct value.  For example, plotting a 5 min MA on a 15 min chart will only show the value of the 5 min MA for every third bar but still showing the correct value of the 5 min EA for that candle.

Please use it as you wish.  So far it appears to work correctly and if you notice any bugs then  please let me know.

This indicator will be the foundation for the MTF version of the Knight Lines, which due to intellectual property concerns will only be available for members of the Pro Group.

Yves

* MTF Moving Average.ex4 (4 KB - downloaded 2151 times.)
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 23:56 by yrparent » Logged
MrT

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 22:03 »

Yves,

I was trying to put multiple instances on my charts, 2 per timeframe for the relevant 21 and 200 MAs. I found that when I was part way through I kept trying to input the the H4 200MA to display on the M30 chart but every time in inputed the parameters and closed the indicator window down it would not include the indicator. I don't know whether it was a glitch, or if there's a limit to how many indicators you can put of a certain type on the charts? I tried it 3 or 4 times and the got the same result each time.

Any ideas?

Mr T
YR
Instructor
Silver Contributor

Go Deep!

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 05:17 »

Hi MrT, I pity the fool that messes with you...just kidding.  I was able to add several MTF MA's on one chart.  I took your case, adding a 4HR 21EMA and 200SMA on a 30 min chart and they plotted themselves just fine.  I don't know what pair you were looking at but I used the E/U.

What might be the cause of you not seeing the 200 is that it's so far from where the price currently is that it's off the chart.  Try zooming out or even changing timeframes (try to 60 and 240) and you should be able to see the 200 SMA just fine.  It also appears in the Data Window.

I will release a new version of this indicator that will identify itself more clearly in the Data Window, which will be useful when you add many to one chart.
YR
Instructor
Silver Contributor

Go Deep!

« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:29 »

Hi everyone, here's version 2 of the indicator (although the file name does not contain the version to make it compatible with existing templates).  The improvements are more accurate descriptions in the data window and when right-clicking. 

Hint: you can use this indicator to replace your regular moving averages, simply use zero as the timeframe and it will always use the chart's timeframe and will adjust accordingly if you change the timeframe of the chart.

Hint: try putting the same EMA (such as the 21) of different timeframes on the same chart, for example daily, weekly and monthly 21 EMAs on a 60 minute chart.  This can give insight into how different timeframes interact with each other.  I just started playing with this and have no advice on how to use it in trading.  Maybe someone can develop a trading system based on this, maybe a moving average cross across different timeframes, such as the M60 21 EMA crossing the H4 21 EMA.  I'm just throwing out an idea, don't take the previous sentence to be a  system or part thereof.

* MTF Moving Average.ex4 (5.02 KB - downloaded 872 times.)
MrT

« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:29 »

What you talkin 'bout fool!  Grin (Mr T quote - not directed at you  Shocked )

Maybe it should be directed at me! I can't get it to work with one of them. I checked the chart with the higher TF to know exactly where the MA should be - it doesn't print there, it isn't in the data window and the reason is that when I go back in to the listed indicators for the chart the relevant MA that I've just tried to save isn't there. Sounds strange, I know!

That's what led me to think that maybe it has reached a limit, or something. I saved the chart as a template, opened it up on a new chart today, applied the template and have the same issue.

What is even stranger is that I can add other MAs, but not this one specific one. It really does sound like user error - but I can't for the life of me work out how I could be doing something wrong. Have you tried to put the full set of MAs on from M1 up to weekly? Did you have any issue with it?

I'm befuddled  Huh?

YR
Instructor
Silver Contributor

Go Deep!

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 03:42 »

Hello fellow knights, here is the latest version of the MTF Moving Average indicator.  It fixes an issue (depending on how you look at it) with the old one where at the point you added the indicator to the chart all previous UTF (Upper Timeframe) periods were nice and straight while subsequent lines were extremely crooked, basically following the value of the UTF MA with each chart timeframe candle.  For example, if you add a 60 Min MA on a 5 min chart, as time advances and new candles print, the value of the 60 min EMA changes with each 5 min candle.  The indicator is correct for the duration of that chart candle but after a while it just appears as a very crooked line on your chart and you may not know what you're looking at.  This new version fixes that, and will re-plot the entire current 60 UTF period (and subsequent ones too) as the value of the current candle changes.  In case you don't understand what I'm trying to say (because it's difficult to explain) see the attached before and after pictures.

IN addition to "fixing" this issue, you also have the option of keeping the old behavior by changing the parameter "RefreshEntireBar" to false, just in case you want to see what the value of the UTF EMA was with each smaller timeframe candle.  Note that this behavior will only apply to candles printed after the indicator is added to the chart, previous UTF periods will remain as nice clean straight lines.

The UTF Moving Averages that are part of the Knight MAs exhibit the same behavior and once I'm satisfied that this is working fine (please report to me if you encounter any problems) on the UTF MA I will fix the problem on the Knight MAs indicator.

* MTF Moving Average.ex4 (5.27 KB - downloaded 1201 times.)

* before.gif (37.02 KB, 1022x885 - viewed 3315 times.)

* after.gif (35.12 KB, 1022x885 - viewed 2483 times.)
ProPipRobber

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 02:38 »

Thx Yrparent!!
Luka Bobnar

« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 20:10 »

Tnx Yrparent!
prochargedmopar

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 01:06 »

May be another useful version.

* MTF Moving Average.ex4 (4 KB - downloaded 849 times.)
Narval

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 06:03 »

Hi, attached is a Multi-Timeframe (MTF) Moving Average that I've developed.  It is meant to show you the moving average on a higher timeframe without having to open up a chart of that higher timeframe (such as plotting an hourly EMA on a 5 min chart).  In the properties sheet you select the timeframe and it must be one of the MT4 built-in ones and expressed in minutes.  For daily use 1440, weekly use 10080 and for monthly use 43200.  Otherwise you can use any of 1, 5, 15, 30, 60 and 240. 

While I intended it to be used to display the MA of a higher timeframe, it also appears to correctly plot moving averages of smaller timeframes (for example a 5 min EMA on a 15 minute chart) by eliminating enough required bars to keep up with the higher timeframe but still displaying the correct value.  For example, plotting a 5 min MA on a 15 min chart will only show the value of the 5 min MA for every third bar but still showing the correct value of the 5 min EA for that candle.

Please use it as you wish.  So far it appears to work correctly and if you notice any bugs then  please let me know.

This indicator will be the foundation for the MTF version of the Knight Lines, which due to intellectual property concerns will only be available for members of the Pro Group.

Yves

Hi Yves!

I registered just because to say thank You for this indicator. Thank You.
All the best!
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: